Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grand Master Seminar

This actually happened on Monday, but, I'll post about it anyway. When we were going to go to the grandmaster Seminar, We didn't know where Jon's belt was, which made us late. However, we weren't too late, so we still got in. We learned 3 medatative excerises for Dan Bong, or short staff, which we are not supposed to learn until black belt, making it a great honor. I kept having troubles with it though. For one thing I couldn't grip it correctley, which hurt. And for another, I was kind of nervous, and didn't always understand what I was supposed to be doing. But, I managed to get through it and satrt working on the Dan bong form. We learned the first 11. Afterwards, we got in lines and started to practice blocking with double Dan bong. First it is over the head, with it protecting your arm, so it doesn't get cut off.Then you hold it the same as before, but farther out so you can block a side slash. Then you hold it at the edge, but up and out, but still protecting your arm for a slice that would cut off your knees. Next, you jump for a slash aimed at your feet, step back with your left foot, and push the sword aimed at you, but it wasn't a real sword, obviously, then cartwheel backwards and push it back again. Then the grandmaster did his speech about how, to be a master, you must be strong, smart, and good-hearted. But we are not there yet. It will take many years, but I think I might be able to make it though.

No comments: